The Sonic Stim combines two different forms of pain therapy:
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to relieve pain by a) helping the body to release natural painkillers (called endorphins), and b) by blocking pain signals to the brain.
- Ultrasound is a deep heating modality that is most effective in heating tissues of deep joints.
Three major effects of Ultrasound are:
- High Speed Ultrasound Vibration – creates a massage effect on surface skin or deeper tissue (such as muscle) to reduce tension and alleviate pain. This effect can also promote healing
- The Heat Efficacy – heat is produced by vigorous friction of the modules in speed vibration. This heat supplies energy to human cells and speeds metabolism
Key features of the Sonic Stim include:
- 15 preset programs
- Ultrasound therapy – 1 programme at 1 MHz
- 7 combined ultrasound + TENS programs - Ultrasound head is used as one of the TENS electrodes
- 7 TENS only programs - two TENS electrode pads included
- 1MHz ultrasound - with maximum power of 4W, maximum surface intensity 1W/cm²
- Ultrasound frequency - designed for optimal penetration into the tissues (intensity reduced by half at approx 4 cm)
- Pulsed ultrasound - 6 levels of intensity: 5% -30% -40% -50% -60% -70% (Duty cycle)
- Electrostimulation - biphasic square pulse at 2.5KHz with preset programs, modulated output from 1 to 150Hz
- Mains powered - 15V safety medical power supply adaptor
- Medical Device certificate CE0123
CAUTIONS & WARNINGS
(For FULL CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS including the use of Ultrasound please see the Sonic Stim Manual under the 'User Manuals' tab)
If you are in any doubt about any of these warnings please consult your medical adviser.
Do Not Use TENS:
• If you have a heart pacemaker or have a heart rhythm problem.
TENS in the direct vicinity of a pacemaker may affect some models. If TENS is applied on the front of the neck this can affect your heart rate. Very strong TENS across the chest may cause an extra heartbeat.
• If you have epilepsy TENS may affect seizure threshold.
• During the first three months of pregnancy
It is not known whether TENS may affect foetal development.
• On the abdomen in the later stages of pregnancy.
Stop using immediately if you experience unexpected contractions.
• When driving, operating machinery, or similar actions needing fine control loose pads, damaged leads, or sudden changes in contact may cause brief involuntary muscle movements.
• To mask or relieve undiagnosed pain may delay diagnosis of progressive condition.
• Observe caution when using TENS at the same time as being connected to monitoring equipment with body worn electrode pads.
It may interfere with the signals being monitored.
• Strong electromagnetic fields (electrosurgery/microwave cookers/mobile phones) may affect the correct operation of this unit.
If it appears to behave unusually, move it away from these devices.
• Use caution following recent surgical procedures stimulation may disrupt the healing process.
Do Not place electrode pads:
• On broken skin The pads could encourage infection.
• On skin which does not have normal sensation.
If the skin is numb, too great a strength may be used, which could result in skin inflammation.
• On the front of the neck
This could cause the airway to close, giving breathing problems. May cause sudden drop in blood pressure (vasovagal response).
• Over the eyes. May affect eyesight or cause headaches.
• Across the front of the head Effect on patients who have had strokes or seizures is not known. May affect sense of balance. The effects of stimulation of the brain are unknown.
• Near malignant tumours In vitro experiments have shown that electricity can promote cell growth.
• Ignore any allergic reaction to the electrode pads.
If a skin irritation develops stop using TENS and try a different type of electrode. Alternative pads specially made for sensitive skin are available. Pads supplied have no measurable latex content.
Also Do Not :
• Immerse your TENS unit in water or place it close to excessive heat. It may cease to operate correctly.
• Attempt to open up the TENS unit. This will invalidate the guarantee.
• Mix old, new or different types of batteries.
• Use this device leads, electrodes, and accessories other than those recommended by the manufacturer. Performance may vary from specification and will invalidate the product warranty.