Safe, drug-free pain relief during labour
Maternity TENS machines have an excellent reputation as one of the safest, most effective forms of modern pain control available to women during childbirth. Midwives recommend Maternity TENS as the machines are safe to use and enable mothers to remain mobile and upright during labour; aiding the descent and dilation whilst providing a more natural, drug-free form of pain relief.
Our Maternity TENS units use TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to relieve pain by:
a) helping the body to release natural painkillers (called endorphins)
b) by blocking pain signals to the brain.
Four self-adhesive electrode pads are placed onto the back (2 just below the bra line and 2 on the lower back) which send gentle electrical signals through the back, blocking the pain signals that are sent to the brain during childbirth.
MamaTENS maternity TENS can also be used from 37 weeks into pregnancy for common pregnancy backache.
Why use the MamaTENS or MamaTENS MyTime?
- Safe for mother and baby
- Recommended by midwives and GPs
- Easy to use
- 9 out of 10 women find TENS helpful during labour
- Mother remains in control and mobile
- Can be used from the onset of labour, helping with the transition from home to hospital
- Can be safely used in conjunction with analgesics such as pethidine or standard gas and air
- Can be used to manage after birth pain
- Can be used for post-episiotomy pain relief
- Suitable for general back ache post pregnancy
- Can be used from 37 weeks into pregnancy for common pregnancy backache.