MamaTENS uses TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to relieve pain by a) helping the body to release natural painkillers (called endorphins) and b) by blocking pain signals to the brain.
Maternity TENS machines have an excellent reputation as one of the safest, most effective forms of modern pain control available to women during childbirth. Midwives recommend MamaTENS as the machines are safe to use and enable mothers to remain mobile and upright during labour; aiding the descent and dilatation to provide a more natural, drug-free form of pain relief.
Please see the User Manuals and Terms and Conditions for more information.
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS (Please read instruction manual carefully before use)
Do not use TENS:
• Observe caution when using the MamaTENS at the same time as being connected to monitoring equipment with body worn electrode pads; it may interfere with the signals being monitored.
• Strong electromagnetic fields (electrosurgery/microwave cookers/ mobile phones) may affect the correct operation of this unit. If it appears to behave unusually, move it away from these devices.
• Use caution following recent surgical procedures. Stimulation may disrupt the healing process.
Do not place electrode pads:
• On broken skin. The pads could encourage infection.
• On skin which does not have normal sensation. If the skin is numb, too great a strength may be used, which could result in skin inflammation.
• On the front of the neck. Could cause the airway to close, giving breathing problems. May cause sudden drop in blood pressure (vasovagal response).
• Over the eyes. May affect eyesight or cause headaches
• Across the front of the head. Effect on patients who have had strokes or seizures is not known. May affect sense of balance. The effects of stimulation of the brain are unknown.
• Near malignant tumours. In vitro experiments have shown that electricity can promote cell growth.
• Ignore any allergic reaction to the electrode pads. If a skin irritation develops stop using TENS, and try a different type of electrode. Alternative pads specially made for sensitive skin are available.
Also do not:
• Immerse your TENS unit in water or place it close to excessive heat. It may cease to operate correctly.
• Attempt to open up the TENS unit. This will invalidate the guarantee.
• Mix old, new or different types of batteries.
• Use this device with leads, electrodes, and accessories other than those recommended by the manufacturer. Performance may vary from specification.
IF IN DOUBT CONSULT YOUR MEDICAL PRACTITIONER, MIDWIFE OR OBSTETRIC PHYSIOTHERAPIST
If you choose to rent the MamaTENS, you will receive the contents above along with a prepaid return envelope to return the machine to us at the end of your rental period.
Please see the User Manuals and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Safe, drug-free pain relief during labour
Maternity TENS machines have an excellent reputation as one of the safest, most effective forms of modern pain control available to women during childbirth. Midwives recommend MamaTENs as the machines are safe to use and enable mothers to remain mobile and upright during labour; aiding the descent and dilation whilst providing a more natural, drug-free form of pain relief.
Our Maternity TENS units use TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to relieve pain by a) helping the body to release natural painkillers (called endorphins), and b) by blocking pain signals to the brain.
Unlike general TENS machines the MamaTENS Maternity TENS machine has pre-set programmes which are specifically designed to help relieve labour pain.
The MamaTENS machine also offers a boost button which allows Mums-to-be to rapidly increase the intensity to provide additional pain relief during contractions.
Four electrode pads are placed onto the back; 2 just below the bra line and 2 on the lower back. These electrode pads omit small electrical impulses along the spine, blocking pain signals sent to the brain during labour.
MamaTENS and MamaTENS MyTime are an essential part of every mum-to-be’s hospital bag, helping you manage your contractions from the moment labour starts, keeping you in control.
Why use the MamaTENS and MamaTENS MyTime?
Buying or Renting your TensCare Maternity TENS Machine?
TensCare offer Mums-to-be the option to buy or hire their Maternity TENS machine.
Hiring a Maternity TENS unit is easy – simply provide us with your name, address, contact details and due date and we will dispatch your Maternity TENS unit directly to your home 3 weeks before your due date.
All postage to and from you is included in the rental charge.
If you are overdue, simply Contact Us to extend the rental period by 2 weeks, free of charge.
If you decide to buy your Maternity TENS machine, TensCare will dispatch your unit the same day the order is placed*
Replacement electrode pads for future pregnancies or for post-pregnancy back pain can be purchased from our Accessories range.
*Orders placed before 4pm on a working day are dispatched on the same day. For more urgent orders, you can upgrade to Courier - Next Working Day delivery or Next Day - Saturday delivery. Please see our Delivery Options for further details.
The risks to unborn babies and to foetal development when using TENS before 37 weeks into pregnancy are unknown, therefore we do not recommend the use of a TENS machine before you reach this stage of pregnancy.
After 37 weeks into your pregnancy, you can safely use TENS to help provide relief from backache, and for a drug-free alternative form of pain relief during your labour.
We highly recommend:
Please see the ACPWH guidance for more information.
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.
TENS is recommended throughout the world by pain clinics and physiotherapy departments. Not only does TENS reduce your pain, it can also help you to reduce your need for painkillers. TENS is simply a means of stimulating your body's own natural defences against pain.
Your TENS unit sends a tiny electric current into the skin through electrode pads which are usually placed near the source of the pain. This current stimulates the sensory nerves, which carry touch and temperature signals. These nerves go to the same connections in the spine as the nerves carrying pain. A strong signal in the sensory nerve releases chemicals in the spine which stop the pain signal travelling up the spine to the brain. This is known as the “Pain Gate”.
In the Pain Gate mode TENS provides relief while it is switched on. The effect may start to wear off after 1-2 hours. You can stop for an hour and then try again. You can use TENS several times a day.
At low-frequency settings, TENS also causes a release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, which relaxes and relieves your pain.
In Endorphin Release mode, the relief builds up over as much as 40 minutes, and can last for up to 4 hours after the unit is turned off.
Most people will achieve a reduction in pain. Some find that their pain goes away completely while they are using TENS. Some users only feel better after repeated use, and over a long time period.
You can use TENS as much, and as often, as you need. Even continuous treatment is fine, but electrodes should be repositioned regularly (at least every 12 hours) to allow the skin to be exposed to air.
The Endorphin Release mode works better when the intensity is high enough to cause small muscle contractions. After about 20 minutes with muscle contractions, the muscle may begin to ache . If this happens you should stop the session. Best results with endorphin release are achieved at between 20 and 40 minutes.
TENS is effective for pain relief from a ide range of causes. TENS machine can be used to help reduce pain from problems in muscles, joints nad nerves. It can be also used for people with musculoskeletal pain such as long- term (chronic) back pain or knee joint arthritis. They are also often used for pain relief in the early stages of labour (see maternity TENS), particularly whilst a pregnant woman remains at home. Other uses include migraine headaches, period pain (see Ova+) and sports injuries.
You can use low frequency (<10 Hz) programmes on acupuncture points, to achieve similar effects to acupuncture.
TENS machines can be used alone for pain relief or be combined with other treatments. You can safely use TENS as long as it gives you pain relief. The effect may wear off after a few hours (this is called “accommodation”). If this happens, take a break of an hour or so before trying again.